Exercise of the week
Safe Cardio Workouts
Low-impact aerobic activities are safe for most adults over 60. Those who perform aerobic workouts gain increased heart strength and a reduced chance of cancer and stroke. Aerobic workouts also burn calories quickly.
Walking briskly five days per week is an ideal exercise for beginners.
- Aim to walk 500 metres to 1 kilometre for at least two weeks and build your endurance so that you can safely walk 1 – 2 kilometres by your fifth week.
RRegular bicycle riding is a safe alternative to walking for seniors who find foot exercise too stressful on the joints.
- Aim to ride for 30 to 60 minutes, five days a week.
Exercise intensity warning signs
If you experience any of the following symptoms, stop exercising and seek medical help:
- extreme breathlessness
- breathing problems such as wheezing or coughing chest pain or pressure
- extreme perspiration
- dizziness or fainting
- severe muscle pain or cramps
- severe pain in any muscles or joints
- extreme and long-lasting fatigue after exercising